Impact Officers at the John M. Belk Endowment (JMBE) will serve as a vital part of our Impact Team. They will join a group of Mission focused employees whose primary work is partnering with like-minded organizations and individuals whose efforts support systems and processes that promote post-secondary attainment and yield long-term alignment of credentials, degrees and skills with employer needs and demands in North Carolina. The John M Belk Endowment is deeply committed to investing and partnering to maximize impact and serve a mission to Elevate through Education
. Impact Officers will exhibit a passion for increasing economic mobility through supporting myriad pathways to post-secondary credential attainment that lead to meaningful professional opportunities. Importantly, they will be self-driven, energetic and enthusiastic team members with the ability to manage and interpret data and take direction well.
The core responsibilities, knowledge and skills of these team members are as follows:
Core Knowledge, Skills and Dispositions
- Support a portfolio of JMBE grantee partnerships by:
- Executing a wide range of activities in support of strategic planning, complex investment opportunities, grant management and external relationship management.
- Reviewing documents of inquiry and grant proposals; providing clear, concise and insightful written analyses and recommendations for funding, including drafting and editing proposal summaries and progress reports for existing grants for review by Endowment leadership.
- Supporting ongoing relationship management with a dedicated set of grantee partners, seeking to represent the interests of JMBE externally and working to listen, understand and support ongoing portfolio projects that maximize impact.
- Coordinating grant processing workflow systems, utilizing Fluxx grant management software to aid in supporting and monitoring progress of assigned partner portfolios.
- Monitoring our partner investments with an eye towards high-quality learning, execution and impact towards JMBE stated goals, priorities and Mission.
- Coordinating periodic site visits to both leverage grantee knowledge and experience as well as to gain new insights and knowledge for JMBE
- Contribute as a valued member of the JMBE Impact Team, by enthusiastically:
- Delivering timely, clear and well-summarized updates about portfolio progress, challenges and opportunities.
- Participating in team and Endowment projects, meetings, analysis and professional growth opportunities while also bringing meaningful thought partnership related to investment and portfolio strategy development.
- Developing a strong understanding of systems and processes in the fields of K-12 and postsecondary education, policy and philanthropy.
- Ensuring collaborative and supportive interactions with clear and consistent communications to grantees and partners by representing the Endowment with a wide variety of external stakeholders and partners.
- Understanding the Endowment’s strategic objectives and appropriate role in each partnership.
A successful Impact Officer will embody a passion for advancing post-secondary education for all of North Carolina’s students and young adults, both rural and urban. Of particular value to the Endowment, is someone who has demonstrated dedication to improving postsecondary attainment as a powerful lever for advancing equity in opportunity and outcomes for Black, Latino and students experiencing poverty.
The John M Belk Endowment will value candidates who have:
- Experience in working with a wide variety of stakeholders, partners and organizations
- Experience in managing complex ideas and systems combined with a steadfast determination to achieve results with an ongoing eagerness to learn.
- Demonstrated ability to develop positive relationships with a diverse set of partners in service of advancing innovations and solutions with a strong sense of political acumen.
- Understanding of historical patterns of structural racism that contribute to access, resource, and opportunity gaps and how these patterns may interact with proposed solutions and initiatives.
- Experience in the development of innovative approaches in education that elevate the voices of and ensure access for marginalized populations.
- Understand policy context of cross-sector aspects of K-12 and postsecondary education including
knowledge relevant to the design, adoption, and implementation of high school to postsecondary transition supports.
Education and Experience
- A background steeped in Data driven outcomes; the ability to assess and find opportunities to advance goals with an evidence base.
- A willingness to collaborate within and across teams and organizations.
- Postsecondary degree or certification in education, public policy, philanthropy or related field.
- 5+ years of experience working in K12 or postsecondary education institutions, nonprofit or private sector product or service provider to education systems focused on the high school, 2- or 4-year colleges, public policy or cross-sector space.
Experience in fast-paced, goal oriented and highly innovative organizations.
The John M. Belk Endowment is committed to creating a workplace where employees thrive both personally and professionally. We also believe our employees should reflect the rich diversity of the populations we aim to serve - in race, gender, age, cultures and beliefs—and we support this diversity through all of our employment practices. All applicants and employees of the John M. Belk Endowment will enjoy equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to:
The John M. Belk Endowment is a private family foundation based in Charlotte, NC, that is committed to transforming postsecondary educational opportunities to meet North Carolina’s evolving workforce needs. The Endowment’s grantmaking focuses on increasing access to and completion of education beyond high school so that students of all ages are prepared for meaningful employment and upward economic mobility. Its mission is aligned with the vision of its founder, the late John M. Belk, who served four terms as mayor of Charlotte and was CEO of the department store company Belk, Inc. Now led by Mr. Belk’s daughter, MC Belk Pilon, the Endowment invests in a diverse group of partners playing a variety of critical roles across North Carolina’s higher education landscape.
Interested candidates should submit a resume to Mark Reed, Managing Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Sexual Orientation
* Gender Identity
* Gender Expression
* National Origin
* Genetic Information
* Veteran Status
* Marital Status
* Prior Protected Activity
Mark Reed; email@example.com