Vision & Impact
Collaborate with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), senior leadership team, and other team members on the development and execution of strategies that advance Dogwood’s initiatives alongside communities and leaders across WNC.
• Understand the role of philanthropy and how to empower community leaders to generate the most powerful impact.
• Build consensus and coalitions across state and local health providers, FQHCs, nonprofits, community members, public health leaders and policy developers.
• Facilitate strategies that are innovative and inclusive of WNC’s communities.
• Create an environment of transparency, collaboration, and cultural integration across all initiatives that foster integration of efforts with our partners.
• Incorporate a focus on equity for everyone in all aspects of the role.
Team Building & Management
• In partnership with the Senior VP and alongside the other three Impact VPs, build and manage a diverse, collaborative and high-performing Impact Team with an eye toward developing a rich talent pipeline.
• Hire, train, and retain staff, providing opportunities for professional growth.
• Be comfortable in a highly entrepreneurial role and lead the Health & Wellness team to match the pace and creativity.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of seven years of senior level experience driving public health efforts in progressively more responsible leadership roles. The VP will have a working understanding of philanthropy and how to enable communities to achieve impact. The VP will bring authentic experience working within ethnically and economically diverse communities and staff, in particularly within rural communities. The VP will demonstrate success building and executing strategic plans, including creating the organizational structure, budget, and funding to provide sustainability. The successful candidate will have experience leading innovative, whole-person health initiatives and has a record of advocating for an integrated care model. Leadership Competencies and Behaviors Innovative leader and thought partner. Ability to move an initiative from vision to implementation while engaging stakeholders, internal teams and external partners. Curious. Passionately interested in regional partners’ work and the people of WNC. Understands the contributing factors to health outside of traditional medical care and seeks bold strategies to serve the community’s needs. Culture stengthener. Cultivate an environment that values a variety of lived experiences and nurtures diverse thinking and creative problem-solving. Convener and listener. Effectively build and nurture working relationships and partnerships within the organization and community. Treat all with dignity and respect. Purposeful leader. Value and encourage continuing growth for self and team in alignment with organizational needs and objectives. Excellent communicator. Communicate effectively to internal audiences and those within the community. Positively represent Dogwood to local and national partners. Excellent speaking and writing skills. Data-informed decision maker. Prepare and analyze data and performance metrics. Use data to develop and evaluate sustainable strategies. Energetic. Effectively navigate the fluidity of an entrepreneurial start-up environment while simultaneously developing structure that best fits the organization for the future. Find balance in a demanding workload. Must be able to lead with grace, humor, and humility.
The VP of Impact – Health & Wellness reports directly to the SVP of Impact. The VP will build and lead a team of Impact Officers, Impact Associates and consultants. Relationships are key to this role and the VP will engage the other Impact VPs as well as external partners. Because of the place-based work of Dogwood, the ideal candidate will have a connection to Western North Carolina and pre-existing partnerships within the region Dogwood serves. The VP will also have relationships within North Carolina and around the country and will draw on outside success and expertise to benefit every WNC community.
Dogwoood's Commitment to Equity & Inclusion
Dogwood Health Trust is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in our work and on our teams. We know that the rich diversity of perspectives and wisdom that is imperative to our purpose can only come from a wide variety of origins and life experiences. We strongly believe that creating a workplace where all team members thrive is critical to fulfilling our purpose in the communities we serve and we intentionally recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.