THE LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITY
Together with the Board of Directors and the Advisory Board of Commissioners, the Executive Director will help shape the direction of the ongoing implementation work that lives up to myFutureNC’s principles, which include:
- Coordinated, cross-sector efforts and cooperation across the education systems, state government, corporate and philanthropic sectors and with existing structures engaged in education.
- Aligned with the needs of our economy, systematically engaging business and industry leaders to ensure that the credentials attained by 2 million adults are relevant and high value.
- Motivated by the urgent need to prepare all North Carolinians for the future, continuously sustain momentum toward our goal.
- Supported by and working with bi-partisan political leadership.
- Results-based and documented evaluation with evidence-based solutions.
- Local ownership: Efforts will be led and coordinated by the state, but locally owned and sustained.
myFutureNC seeks a proven, passionate, transformational, entrepreneurial leader to implement the vision established by its founding board members and position the organization as a successful driver and convener of high impact work across the state.
The Executive Director is responsible for working with the myFutureNC Board of Directors to grow the organization and build its capacity to deliver on its mission. This includes facilitating work across the education, business, government and philanthropic sectors to foster a collective commitment to increasing educational attainment across North Carolina. It involves balancing the need for sustained state-level leadership and engagement with deeper ownership and support at the regional and local levels.
This role requires a leader who fully understands the power of a high-quality education system to grow opportunity for individuals and build prosperity for communities. The successful candidate possesses a relentless focus on proven policies and practices, quantifiable results, and an understanding of how to transform institutions to improve outcomes. It requires optimism and patience, determination and the ability to work within a complex political environment as well as the ability to inspire others to act.
The Director’s primary responsibilities include:
- Working with the board to set the direction for MFNCs work. Regularly convening the Board of Directors to advance strategic direction and priorities and inform the leadership of progress and accomplishments. Supporting board members in aligning the work of their institutions and their regions to MFNC’s mission.
- Working with cross-sector leaders to support innovation and foster collaboration. Driving greater educational attainment by convening highly successful and influential leaders across the P-12, community college, UNC system and independent college system to work in collaboration with each other as well as with key stakeholders from business, industry and local communities. This cross-sector work will raise awareness of the need for increased education attainment and allow stakeholders to learn from each other, sharing best practices.
- Engaging myFutureNC Advisory Board of Commissioners to inform the strategy and champion MFNC work. This includes regularly communicating with members of the Advisory Board of Commissioners and facilitating opportunities to gather counsel and keep them abreast of the organization’s work. It includes supporting their efforts to champion programs in local communities.
- Building organizational capacity to deliver outcomes. Developing strategic plans, building out the functions of the organization, recruiting and managing staff and consultants, and seeking partners where necessary to help carry out the work.
- Growing strong partner relationships. Building relationships with other organizations across the state whose work is complementary to create a shared agenda and expand impact.
- Serving as primary spokesperson and champion. Excellent written and oral communication skills, comfortable with public speaking, media engagement, local outreach and confidence with all forms of communications. Exercising sound judgment in tapping board members and commissioners for public engagement opportunities to amplify the MFNC message.
- Leading business development and fundraising. Demonstrated success in setting financial objectives, expanding business development and meeting fundraising goals. Fostering local investment in efforts to meet the state attainment goal.
- Working with Policymakers. Working with members of the North Carolina General Assembly, the Governor’s administration, and policymakers, as necessary, to develop policy that increases North Carolina’s level of education attainment.
- Developing research and data to support policy and program changes. Coordinating with research-based organizations and individuals to attain data and research to support policy and program changes that will improve educational attainment.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- A passion for increasing educational attainment to improve individual outcomes and support the growth of local communities and the state-wide economy;
- Unwavering commitment to equity and closing gaps in educational outcomes, including, by income, race, gender, ability and geography;
- A proven track record and earned reputation working in the North Carolina education or workforce space;
- Previous experience leading a non-profit organization, education agency or business organization that set and achieved ambitious goals using organizing skills, either as the chief executive or senior-level staff member;
- Experience working with and leveraging influential boards and accomplished individuals;
- Experience leading successful and effective fundraising efforts for a social impact organization;
- Established relationships and credibility within the P-12 and higher education communities;
- Experience working across the P-12, higher education and workforce sectors to align efforts and foster collaboration;
- Superb relationship management skills with an ability to delicately handle sensitive political issues;
- Significant experience brokering relationships between employers and education leaders;
- A fluency with the legislative process in North Carolina and familiarity with North Carolina legislators and executive branch staff;
- Experience developing and implementing advocacy efforts and communications strategies to broaden and deepen support for a cause;
- Comfort and ability to engage with high-level state officials and business leaders, as well as local community leaders and practitioners;
- Excellent communication, public speaking and presentation skills;
- Proven ability to inspire others to engage in a cause;
- A high-level capacity to use data to drive decision-making, set strategy and build collective buy-in;
- An undergraduate degree in a related field required; advanced degree preferred;
- Significant senior-level or executive experience with at least 10 years of leadership experience.
Competitive salary commensurate with executive professional experience.
Armstrong McGuire & Associates, based in Raleigh, NC is conducting this search. To apply, click on the link to the myFutureNC position profile at www.ArmstrongMcGuire.com/apply
. You will see instructions for uploading your cover letter, resume and professional references. Finalists will be asked to provide a writing sample. In case of any technical problems, contact email@example.com
. Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue through the application deadline of August 15, 2019.