Members may post open positions in their organizations for free. We also accept listings for jobs with non-member philanthropic organizations or those central to the work in philanthropy in North Carolina. Listings for non-members are $100. If you have questions about whether you are eligible to post a job here, please contact us.
Oak Foundation is recruiting a dynamic and number loving Finance Officer to join our finance team. The role is based at our Chapel Hill office reporting to a Geneva-based supervisor. The Finance Officer will be responsible for managing the accounting operations for two to three of our international offices. In collaboration with our programme staff he/she will also perform financial due diligence on grant applications submitted by our non-profit partners as well as monitoring of projects underway. We are looking for someone that easily adapts to changing requirements and can lead initiatives to improve both the accounting and the due diligence side of our work.
Manages the accounting of two to three Oak offices, liaising with local bookkeepers/accountants, ensuring that all entries are correct, appropriately allocated and that costs are in line with Oak policies;
- Adds appropriate closing adjustments;
- Makes sure that all compliance requirements related to assigned Oak offices are met and that proper filings are done in a timely manner by our consultants;
- Liaises with auditors regarding queries related to the offices and controls results of audits;
- Ensures taxes are appropriately computed and filed and reporting and other tax requirements are met;
- Prepares budget for assigned Oak offices in a timely manner liaising with staff controlling specific budgets to ensure reliability of information;
- Reports on actual costs and provides explanations of variances compared to budget
- Provides costing analysis at a more detailed level on demand;
- Undertakes special projects as required. An example could be managing the opening or closing of a local office – including liaising with local legal experts, hiring of local bookkeepers/accountants and auditors.
- Responsible for managing payroll and related benefits with outsource service providers under supervision from Geneva;
- Responsible for dealing with banking-related matters with supervision from Geneva;
2. Financial due diligence of grants:
- Examines and analyses accounting records, financial statements, and other financial reports of grantee organisations to assess risk related to operations, trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments, and obligations;
- Communicates with Programme Officers regarding grant application documents and progress reports;
- Provides input on financial capacity building of grantees;
- Participates towards the on-going process of improving financial due diligence process;
- Supervises more extensive assessments of grantees done by external consultants;
- Provides analysis related to grant-making;
3. Performs all other relevant duties and special projects assigned by the supervisor.
Education & Experience
- University degree in Accounting, Finance or related field;
- At least 7 years of experience;
- Experience in accounting;
- Experience in management of projects;
- Experience in analysing financial aspects of projects led by not-for profits;
- Experience in the not-for-profit sector a plus.
- Ability to work as a collaborative member of the finance team and programme teams;
- Ability to handle confidential information in a discreet manner;
- Proven ability to work autonomously as well as within a team;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Fluent in spoken and written English; other languages a plus;
- Excellent problem-solving, analysis and synthesis skills;
- Proficient in handling multiple responsibilities and tasks simultaneously with professionalism; Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple priorities, and meet strict deadlines;
- Proficient using Office (Excel: VLookups / Pivot tables); knowledge of some accounting softwares;
- Available to travel internationally at least four times a year;
- Committed to Oak’s organisational values.
To apply, please send your resume and a covering letter by e-mail only to email@example.com no later than June 26th 2019. Please state “Finance Officer” in the subject line of your email. Applicants must have the right to live and work in the USA. Please note that we will only be contacting shortlisted candidates.
By submitting your application, you confirm that you have read and understood our job applicant’s data privacy notice.
Chapel Hill, NC