Shannon St. John Felllow
The Shannon St. John (SSJ) Philanthropy Fellow, named after the Foundation’s first Executive Director, is a two-year, entry-level position that will allow recent graduates and new-to-philanthropy professionals the opportunity to gain experience working in philanthropy. The Fellow will be part of the Community Engagement team, but also work closely with Philanthropic Engagement and have the opportunity to work on special projects across other teams within the Foundation. The Fellow will finish the program with a broad view of philanthropy and a significant portfolio of skills and experiences to carry into their next opportunity.
This is a 2-year position that will begin in August 2023 and continue for 24 months and reports to the Senior Program Officer for Education Initiatives. The Foundation is committed to the professional growth of the Fellow during and after their term of employment.
Preference is for applicants within 2 years of bachelor’s or master’s degree completion who have graduated from a North Carolina college or university (Triangle-area preferred). Applicants who do not meet these criteria but have not previously worked in the field of philanthropy are also welcome to apply.
This position is responsible for the following:
Grant, Scholarship, and Program Support (75%)
Nonprofit and Donor Customer Service (20%)
- Work closely with Community Engagement team to support administration and management of impact area grant programs, scholarships, and partnerships including:
- Setting up grant/scholarship processes in our online platforms (GLM/SLM), including application, evaluation, reports, and agreement/payment forms.
- Coordinating and preparing information for public information sessions.
- Fielding inquiries from nonprofits during the application period and students during scholarships season.
- Supporting Program Officers in managing administrative processes.
- Support Program Officers in recruiting, training, and coordinating Grant/Scholarship Advisory Committees, including, outreach, scheduling, and note-taking.
- Support Program Officers in collecting and reviewing required reports and communicating impact to internal and external stakeholders and donors.
- Support the Philanthropic Engagement team in administering donor-directed grant cycles, as appropriate.
Special Projects and Professional Development (5%)
- Assist Community Engagement team with grantee engagement, including:
- Organizing grantee roundtables.
- Assisting with grantee-focused events.
- Scheduling check-ins or site visits as requested by staff or donors.
- Create Nonprofit Insight and Issue Reports in response to donor inquiries through the Philanthropic Engagement team.
- Assist with coordination, planning, and execution of community-focused events.
- Respond to general inquiries from nonprofits.
- Attend events hosted by nonprofits in the community.
- Support coordination and execution of site visits to nonprofit organizations as appropriate.
- Contribute to projects that provide support to teams outside of Community Engagement (e.g. Marketing and Communications, Philanthropic Engagement, Operations, and/or Finance) and align with Fellow’s personal/professional interests.
- Participate in professional development opportunities.